Web lists-archives.com

Re: Is it possible to install Debian in such a case.

On Fri 10 May 2019 at 16:28:09 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> On Fri 10 May 2019 at 11:04:47 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 08:57:20AM -0600, An Liu wrote:
> > > As all knows,  redhat 8 was announced available serveral days ago, and
> > > i got the DVD iso, and i want to have a try
> >
> > > We have a solution for debian, as mentioned, use hd-media (vmlinuz,
> > > initrd.gz with iso-scan)   in step 2 , so it's not a really a problem
> > >
> > > But this should have share the  common ground in installation, isn't?
> > >
> > > That's why i post my question here.
> >
> > This makes no sense.  If you want to learn how to install Red Hat, you
> > should ask a Red Hat mailing list, not a Debian mailing list.
>
> We had the dubious pleasure of being invited to assist with a Windows
> setup a few days ago:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/05/msg00377.html
>
> Not a squeak of protest from anyone. The poster was "well pleased" with
> the help given.

I was pissed off, but I bit my tongue. And you can't get a question
about apt answered here:

> > We don't know how to install Red Hat.
>
> I am not sure An Liu is asking for help with installing Red Hat.

I understand that. But, because of the earlier post that I mentioned before,
and the thread where you commented on an overlooked paragraph in
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ#Q:_How_can_I_install_sid_.28unstable.29_with_DebianInstaller.3F
I took a look at this page to see if the two ideas were related.
That led me nowhere, but further up this page I did see:

Q: How to install with boot floppies + netinst.iso mounted as a loop
device in the ramdisk from a ext2 partition?

A: You can boot the installer directly from a hard disk using LILO or
GRUB, and the *hd-media initrd* will find your netinst.iso. See the
DebianInstall for details.

which takes you up to the DebianInstall page itself. If there were
any details here about that Q&A, they seem to have gone. The closest
approach to an answer would be Debootstrap, but that has nothing to
do with the netinst.iso.

But it does seem that a recipe to do what's promised by the Q&A
would answer this thread's OP: "Install Debian from Grub+ISO".
I think Greg's reference is the closest approach, but again it
involves debootstrap rather than the d-i. The Q&A implies that
you can jump from Grub into the netinst.iso. The least obvious
part is the *hd-media initrd* referred to above. What and where?

My interest in this stems from a Laptop on which you are blind until
the kernel loads (ie text pours down the screen). No boot selection
menu, no CMOS screens, no Grub screens.

Cheers,
David.