Web lists-archives.com

Re: From installation DVD to original ISO file

On 04/10/2019 10:58 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Richard Owlett wrote:
The solutions I was given at the time revolved around using "isoinfo".
[...] I've gone in circles trying to find a package including it in
*current* Debian repository.

Isn't it in "genisoimage" ?

   https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd64/genisoimage/filelist
has
   /usr/bin/isoinfo

My search methodology was faulty.
I hadn't thought of searching packages.debian.org for an included file.
Doing it that way also yields
   https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libcdio-utils
with interesting links at
   https://www.gnu.org/software/libcdio/projects.html

# COUNT=$(isoinfo -d -i /dev/cdrom)
# dd if=/dev/dvd bs=2048 status=progress count=$COUNT conv=notrunc,noerror > disc.iso
Is there a recommended alternative procedure?

   COUNT=$(expr $(/sbin/isosize /dev/cdrom) / 2048)

from package "util-linux".

On the man page
     https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/util-linux/isosize.8.en.html
I had seen:
The size of the file (or block device) holding an iso9660 filesystem
can be marginally larger than the actual size of the iso9660 filesystem.
One reason for this is that cd writers are allowed to add "run out"
sectors at the end of an iso9660 image.

I wasn't sure if that meant it was not suitable for my purpose.

Thanks