Web lists-archives.com

Re: text editors

On Mon 01 Apr 2019 at 06:46:09 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 01 April 2019 06:08:17 tomas@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > I think also, but no one uses it except for emacs or some niche
> > > programming.
> >
> > Do your reading before spewing nonsense:
> >
> >   https://leanpub.com/lisphackers/read
> >
> This would be a great read, if 90% of the text wasn't 90% white. What the
> hell is wrong with good old black text?

Yes, to think of all the time wasted by so-called web designers
when all I do with a page like that is press Ctrl-A Ctrl-C and
paste it all into an emacs buffer with Shft-Insert. That way,
I get to read it in *my* choice of font etc.

If the page looks interesting and worth keeping, then I press
Shft-Ctrl-% ! which doubles every Newline, and Escape 9999 Ctrl-Home
which then runs fill-region on every paragraph before saving it.
(These last two are the results of my "programming" ability in this
over-blown editor, ie my ability to cut and paste other people's
scraps. AFAIK no one, least of all User Services, was hurt in the
production of this code.)

Cheers,
David.