Web lists-archives.com

Re: Partition information as text file?

Le 27/01/2019 à 21:08, Richard Hector a écrit :
On 27/01/19 4:45 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 26/01/2019 à 16:12, Richard Owlett a écrit :

But I still need to know how much of each partition is used/unused.

Usually, all of a partition is used. If the partition contains a
filesystem, swap area, RAID member or LVM physical volume, these data
structures use all the partition space.

Not necessarily - eg if you've extended the partition and not the
filesystem, it doesn't.

Of course there are exceptions. This is why I wrote "usually".
But this space is not accounted as available/free in the partition table, nor is it accounted as used/unused in the filesystem. Gparted would not display it. Unless it is a transient state, it is just wasted space.

It's probably possible to specify the fs size at creation
time, too

Yes, some filesystem creation tools allow to specify the size.