Web lists-archives.com

Re: USB hard drives -- recommendations?

On 26.01.2019 2:28, Celejar wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 01:09:59 +0500
"Alexander V. Makartsev" <avbetev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you value your data, my recommendation is to get inexpensive NAS with
iSCSI, like Synology DS218j and run two disks in RAID1 for redundancy.
This decision has many advantages, like:
1. You still will have your data even in case one drive fails or gets
multiple bad blocks, so that 60Gb Virtual HD image will not turn out to
be a punch card when you will try to use it as a backup.
RAID is for uptime, availability, performance - not ensuring the safety
of valuable data.

https://www.raidisnotabackup.com/

Backing up properly is the only way to safeguard valuable data. With
proper backups, your data will be safe with or without RAID. Without
proper backups, your data will not be safe with or without RAID.

Celejar

Well, James asked for advice on USB disk drive that will be used as storage for backups.
It may seem like overkill, but I would prefer to be sure that my backups are safe and consistent, because there are many ways things could go wrong.

Speaking of RAID in general, I can see usefulness of URL you provided, but only as a guide to fight with "I have RAID, it works, so I can forget about it" kind of mentality of inexperienced people.
Yes, backup is important, but it is also important to be sure that your backup will not fail you when you will need it the most, so using RAID with proper monitoring and servicing procedures is always better than just one drive.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org