Web lists-archives.com

Re: Command line mounting all partitions of pluggable device

On Mon 14 Jan 2019 at 10:20:51 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:

> > Rchard Owlett wrote:
> > > There are not.
> >
> > In the most general case i would have a where-to-mount directory with
> > lots of directories for the various partitions (here 10 drives with
> > 20 partitions each).
>
> But thankfully I don't have to deal with the most general case as I am
> as compulsive about giving all partitions a reasonably unique label as
> Debian is about assigning UUIDs.

"Reasonably unique" doesn't really cut it. You're better off
generating a nonce name for the real mount point like so:

    Newmtpt=/media/richard/$(uuidgen)
    mkdir -p "$Newmtpt"

and then making a symlink to it using your LABELs. That way, mounting
will always succeed even if creating the link fails (which tells you
to take some action to rectify things).

Cheers,
David.