Re: File ownership problem using removeable media
- Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2018 13:57:39 +0100
- From: Pascal Hambourg <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: File ownership problem using removeable media
Le 23/12/2018 à 13:51, Richard Owlett a écrit :
I use USB drives to transfer files between systems (sneakernet).
All systems have only one user(richard). It was created during
The drives are either ext2 or ext4 formatted.
All files were in /user/richard on source machine
They _often_ [but not always] are seen as owned by 'root', not
'richard', by the destination system.
Why? I assume it is me in some manner.
Because you created them as root.
What do I have to do to guarantee absolutely that any file/directory
from /home/richard is seen by destination system as owned by 'richard'?
1) Create files on the USB drive as user richard.
2) Use the same UID for user richard on source and destination systems.