Web lists-archives.com

Re: Recommended debootsrap tutorials

On 12/14/2018 08:42 AM, Tixy wrote:
On Fri, 2018-12-14 at 13:57 +0000, Brian wrote:
On Fri 14 Dec 2018 at 04:56:11 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

On 12/13/2018 01:51 PM, deloptes wrote:
[snip]

So why not install minimal debian and try removing what you won't
need.
I get around 100MBs to be able to do something useful with it.
There is i.e. Slax (with minimal TDE inkl. GUI) and is about
350MB image.
You can boot your PC and do something useful.

So what is the goal of your exercise? Personal?

You might say personal exercise of the cerebral variety.

As I've said:

As some of my interest was focused on finding out just how small
useful Debian system could be, I was pointed towards debootstrap.
didn't have needed background at that time.> ...> My interest has

been rekindled. I wish to understand debootstrap.
To that end I do a minimalist bootable Debian installation.

Debootstrap is powerful. It can be used:
1. in any Linux
2. to install any Debian release
3. to install to any architecture

Correct.

Notice a repeated 3-letter word ;}

The "tutorials" I found tried to be all things to all people.

Appendix D.3 in the installer manual doesn't seem to do such a bad
job.

Notice a repeated 3-letter word ;}

Think of my "problem" as an end of course lab practical which might
be
phrased as:
     Using you current machine with any Debian debian release
installed
     and access to a suitable repository, use dedbootstrap to do a
     minimalist [1] bootable install to another partition.

[1] https://www.thefreedictionary.com/minimalist

Mmm. "minimalist" is a moving target. Do I really need both nano and
vim.tiny? Why bother with ifupdown when systemd is there or no
network
is required? Ditto for isc-dhcp-client. libapparmor1, rsyslog,
tasksel?
I'm fairly sure the machine will boot without any of these present.

Machine will boot with a single init program (could be a shell like
busybox) that is stored in an initrd. So this minimalist install
partition would just have /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd.img (or just
vmlinuz if the initrd was built into the kernel binary).

Of course, this may not meet the functional requirements, but the OP
hasn't specified any of those, just that they system be 'minimalist'.

q.v.
https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/debootstrap/debootstrap.8.en.html