Web lists-archives.com

Re: Doing multiple independent install w/o internet

On Thu 06 Dec 2018 at 13:53:38 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> On Thu 06 Dec 2018 at 07:00:43 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
> > I'm setting up a machine dedicated to *experimenting* with Debian installs
> > using the content of purchased sets of DVDs.
> >
> > The project's goals include creating:
> >    1. a preseed.cfg implementing *my* idea of a "minimal" install
>
> Should be no problem; you have done this in the past.
> .
> >    2. suitable meta-packages(ww?) for above.
>
> Sorry, I don't know what you mean here. What is ww?
>
> > The project's constraints/assumptions include:
> >   1. doing repeated scratch installs w/o internet.
>
> Again - no problem with achieving this.
>
> >   2. the DVDs' content will be decompressed and stored on a
> >      dedicated partition
>
> Does the content have to be on a hard disk or could it go on the flash
> drive?
>
> > My tentative procedure will be:
> >   1. copy DVD1 to a flash drive with dd.
> >   2. copy custom preseed.cfg to that flash drive.
>
> You'll need a partition to put it on. The dd process might create a
> suitable one.
>
> >   3. use that flash drive for each trial install.
>
> Booting into DVD1 will be no problem. How will the preseed file get to
> be read?
>
> >   4. create a script to install packages not on DVD1.
>
> Not sure about how easy getting a workable script is.
>
> > *MY QUESTIONS*
> >
> > 1. Any problems with above?
>
> Multiple, probably. There always are when trailblazing.
>
> > 2. Content of the Nth DVD of DVD set Q will be stored at
> >    /media/richard/DVDsets/setQ/dvdN .
>
> Does the content of the other DVDs have to be on a hard disk or could it
> go on the flash drive?
>
> > Is this the correct content for sources.list ?>
> > > deb file:/media/richard/DVDsets/setQ/dvd1 stable main contrib deb
> > > file:/media/richard/DVDsets/setQ/dvd2 stable main contrib
> > > .
> > > .
> > > . deb file:/media/richard/DVDsets/setQ/dvdN stable main contrib
>
> Pass.

I could have sworn this had all moved from the todo list to the
list of accomplishments. In fact, I thought the copying step had
been achieved back in 2015 when I wrote

and that the preseed.cfg was done and dusted as reported in

so it might be helpful to know a little more about all the items
listed above before even looking at something as vague as

Question 1. Any problems with above?

let alone actually answering it.

Cheers,
David.