Web lists-archives.com

Re: Verifying dependencins of DEB file(s)

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 08:38:26 +0100 Tomáš Golembiovský said:

> Hi,

Hi Tomáš,

> I need to safely install a DEB file (or set of DEB files) without
> network connectivity and with tools normally present on small Debian
> installation. More precisely I would either like to install the package
> or leave the system in state before the attempt.
>
> However, it seems there is no way to roll-back installation done with
> dpkg in case of failure. Neither I found a way how to at least check
> dependencies. The --dry-run/--simulate option does not do that. In fact,
> I'm not sure what stages of the process it goes through (maybe just
> verifying package integrity).
>
> Is what I want to do possible with dpkg or other tools that are
> normally in the base system?

There are missing variables in your question:

1. Do you have access to apt family of commands?
2. Is it OK to install latest version of the package(s) for your Debian
distribution? (opposed to having to intall a specific package version)

Assuming yes to both questions, you can:

1) "apt-get update" and then,

2a) In synaptic, select the target package(s) for installation and note which
additional packages synaptic automatically selects for dependencies.

2b) Or, try installing them via apt-get (either with -s option or quit when
apt-get asks for confirmation) and note the additional packages added to your
initial list.

3) Download all the packages (including dependencies)

4) Install all of them offline in a single "dpkg -i" command line.

As for rolling back the system, others have already pointed out dpkg purge
option.

Regards
--
Abdullah Ramazanoğlu - İstanbul, Türkiye