Re: Installing nvidia-driver removes xorg
- Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2018 13:10:38 +0100
- From: floris <jkfloris@xxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Installing nvidia-driver removes xorg
Gregory Sharp schreef op 2018-11-08 19:01:
I am currently running stretch with the nvidia display driver. The
nvidia-driver package is not installed. Instead, the
package and other packages needed for the display driver and CUDA are
While attempting an upgrade to CUDA 9 in backport, I learned that
nvidia-driver (either version: 384.130 or 390.87) would uninstall xorg,
libreoffice, and many other seemingly useful packages.
1) Why should xorg be uninstalled when nvidia-driver is installed?
2) What might be a recommended upgrade path for me?
From bug 903770 :
... the nvidia packages in stretch-backports now require mesa+libglvnd
You could try to install mesa, libglvnd and xorg from backports first.