Installing nvidia-driver removes xorg
- Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 13:01:26 -0500
- From: Gregory Sharp <gregsharp.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Installing nvidia-driver removes xorg
I am currently running stretch with the nvidia display driver. The
nvidia-driver package is not installed. Instead, the nvidia-kernel-dkms
package and other packages needed for the display driver and CUDA are
While attempting an upgrade to CUDA 9 in backport, I learned that installing
nvidia-driver (either version: 384.130 or 390.87) would uninstall xorg, gdm3,
libreoffice, and many other seemingly useful packages.
1) Why should xorg be uninstalled when nvidia-driver is installed?
2) What might be a recommended upgrade path for me?