Web lists-archives.com

Re: Creating a bootable (non-UEFI) backup copy of a bootable (non-UEFI) Debian hard disk

Nov 3, 2018, 4:32 PM by dpchrist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> dd(1) is a lowest-common-denominator tool that is available on most every Debian system, live CD, and installer (plus other Linuxes and BSD's).  I use dd to blindly copy bytes to bytes, so it is unaware of partition tables, slices, partitions, volume managers, encryption, file systems, OS's, drivers, apps, data, etc...  It's fast and I avoid the headaches.  It should work well for your use-case.

I actually had a working backup system in place, rsync-ing "/" and just copying /boot files from source HD to backup HD. It worked reasonably well over the years and I now wonder how simply copying /boot files did not cause me problems back then. I think I probably did initial mirroring with dd and after that just did incremental updates with rsync. Did not even have issues when both HD were present in the system.

Regards,