Re: Problem updating to Buster - gparted effectively MIA
- Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 15:19:42 -0500
- From: Richard Owlett <rowlett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Problem updating to Buster - gparted effectively MIA
On 10/08/2018 10:45 AM, Reco wrote:
On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 08:46:21AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
I stated by running "script", so I have a log.
1) First things first.
Install 'screen' utility into stretch.
run 'screen' and do everything else there.
I browsed the man page for "screen".
Why use it rather than the MATE terminal?
The answer will suggest what I should be aware of as I give it a more
It will be useful for me to do a review of how/why use chroot.
IOW saying "... you're assumed to choose answers wisely" I will have to
"think first rather than repent at leisure" ;/
In case of any trouble (such as network connectivity loss), reestablish
your connection and run 'screen -DR'.
2) Mount chroot again (from inside the screen). Ensure you're able to
run 'apt-get update' without trouble, as you'll need it.
3) Perform the usual upgrade dance:
The process will ask you questions (many questions, in fact), you're
assumed to choose answers wisely ;). Take special care while upgrading
4) Unmount chroot, exit screen (simple 'exit' should do it).
5) Reboot into your brand-new buster installation.