Web lists-archives.com

What's the right way to get an unbroken mc package installed in Stretch

Stretch comes with 4.8.18, which for me is unusable due to an upstream bug fixed
in 4.8.19[1], but 4.8.19 is unusable due to another upstream bug, not fixed
until 4.8.20[2]. I configured stretch-backports in sources.list, but apparently
it has no newer mc version available. 4.8.21 is on the mirrors, so I downloaded
it from a mirror and installed it with dpkg. It works fine, but now apt is
broken because it thinks mc is broken and needs to be removed by "apt
--fix-broken install". Apparently apt thinks mc depends on different packages
than dpkg does:

# apt install inxi
 inxi : Depends: gawk but it is not going to be installed
 mc : Depends: libext2fs2 (>= 1.37)
      Depends: libgpm2 (>= 1.20.7) but 1.20.4-6.2+b1 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install'

# dpkg-reconfigure mc
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: mc is broken or not fully installed

Am I the only one who needs mc to work in Stretch? What do others do?

[1] fubar right pane at startup with saved long file listing
http://midnight-commander.org/ticket/3758

[2] VFS: timestamps not being preserved due to uninitialized struct stat
st_[acm]tim.tv_nsec (#3821)
http://midnight-commander.org/ticket/3821

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/