Web lists-archives.com

Re: Problems installing MariaDB

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 07:59:57AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I have not used a relational database since dBASEII was current.
> About a year ago I attempted to install MariaDB but didn't find tutorial
> which was a close enough match to my system.
>
> I found (and attempted to follow) instructions at:
>    https://www.tecmint.com/install-mariadb-in-debian/
>    https://www.linode.com/docs/databases/mariadb/mariadb-setup-debian/
>
> I successfully did:
>    apt-get install software-properties-common
>    apt-get install mariadb-server mariadb-client

First, I do not recommend that you follow the instructions on those
pages for adding new repositories.  It is aboslutely unnecessary.
Debian stretch ships official packages for MaraiaDB 10.1 and unless you
have a specific need to use packges from a third-party, it is best to
steer clear of that.

> *BUT* both references auto-magically go to a GUI setup screen.
> I'm using Debian 9 with MATE.
> I don't find anything related on the Applications nor System menus.
> Help please.

What specifically is it that you are looking for on the menu?  What are
you trying to do?

Regards,

-Roberto

--