Web lists-archives.com

Re: What is "discover -t" saying?

On 06/24/2018 09:35 AM, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2018-06-24 at 10:07, Richard Owlett wrote:

On 06/24/2018 08:38 AM, The Wanderer wrote:

discover --vendor-id --model-id -t | grep unknown

discover --vendor-id --model-id -t | grep unknown
gives
1912 0015 unknown unknown

https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1912/0015

This would appear to be a USB3 controller device. (Unless that's
actually a USB ID, and the PCI ID match is a false positive; I've never
seen that happen, but I don't know if it can be ruled out.)

1bbb 0195 unknown unknown

https://usb-ids.gowdy.us/read/UD/1bbb/0195
(although that site appears to be down at the moment).

For some reason this doesn't seem to be listed in the main usb.ids file
hosted at usb-ids.ucw.cz; however, the vendor ID is listed there, as 'T
& A Mobile Phones'. Based on the two devices listed under that vendor
ID, that appears to be Alcatel.

Thank you. I'm interested in only:
Prolific Technology, Inc. PL25A1 Host-Host Bridge

I'm missing understanding of "something" everyone takes for granted.

While following chain of links I found "discover -t".
I suspect my problems understanding this is closely related to "Why doesn't connecting the cable "Just Work"? Every other USB device I've ever used does. There some fundamental detail missing.