Web lists-archives.com

Re: Possible for full-disk encryption to encrypt /boot as well?

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 12:43 AM, David Christensen <dpchrist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/26/18 21:16, Paul Johnson wrote:
On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 7:21 PM, David Christensen
Have you considered a self-encrypting drive ...

I'm 99.99% sure (like Dove soap sure) that Symantec full disk
encryption doesn't work this way because I'm just as sure that none
of the Dell models I've ever worked with have this hardware
capability.

I have tested Intel 520 Series SSD's with self-encryption in two Dell
laptop models:

- They do not work in Dell Inspiron E1505's (~2007, Core Duo).

- They do work in Dell Latitude E6520's (2011~2012, Sandy Bridge).

 Right, but is the basic system unencrypted or not?  I very, very, very highly suspect not, since it seems fairly obviously to me (given that all the Dell hardware stuff has finished and it's handed off to whatever is on the boot device) it's handing off to encrypted software off the hard drive to bootstrap the rest by the time anything Symantec gets involved with.