Web lists-archives.com

Re: making more room in root partition for distribution upgrade

On May 17, 2018, at 6:19 PM, Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If using multiple partitions per disk, consider using LVM in future
> as otherwise this sort of thing nearly always becomes a chore.

I strongly second the recommendation to use LVM wherever possible.  It greatly simplifies the process of re-sizing partitions as usage changes.  Contrary to Andy’s recommendation, though, I would also put swap on LVM — if only just to simplify things when I do find myself needing to adjust it — simplifying a rare procedure is nevertheless a simplification and worth having.

Secondly, I heartily recommend the GRML live system for when you need to do this kind of thing.  It’s a fully fledged live Debian derived OS, designed to have all the sys-admin tools you need, on a single USB or DVD.

Hope it helps!
Rick