Web lists-archives.com

Is "Debian desktop environment" identical to "GNOME" upon installation?

When clean-installing Debian 9.4 from "debian-9.4.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso" using the text-based interface, the following dialog appears.

| Software selection
|
| At the moment, only the core of the system is installed.
| To tune the system to your needs, you can choose to install
| one or more of the following predefined collections of software.
|
| [*]  Debian desktop environment
| [ ]    GNOME
| [ ]    Xfce
| [ ]    KDE
| [ ]    Cinnamon
| [ ]    MATE
| [ ]    LXDE
| [ ]  web server
| [*]  print server
| [ ]  SSH server
| [*]  standard system utilities

After the installation was performed with "Debian desktop environment" checked and "GNOME" unchecked, I found GNOME installed.

It seems that the following three combinations have exactly the same effect, but I am not sure.  Please confirm whether the following three combinations have exactly the same effect.

| [*]  Debian desktop environment
| [ ]    GNOME

| [ ]  Debian desktop environment
| [*]    GNOME

| [*]  Debian desktop environment
| [*]    GNOME

Does checking "Debian desktop environment" have exactly the same effect as checking "GNOME"?