Web lists-archives.com

Re: Debian glossary?

On Monday 30 April 2018 12:03:31 David Wright wrote:

> On Mon 30 Apr 2018 at 10:44:58 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 30 April 2018 09:24:12 Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > Sometimes automount and cousins are convenient. Other times
> > > %@%$^$!*() ;/
> >
> > Let me clarify that, to a right Pain In The Ass when trying to write
> > an armhf or arm64 systen to its boot u-sd card. They grab the card
> > the instant its plugged in and then dd has a hell of a time trying
> > to write to a mounted device.
>
> Yes, I seem to remember pointing out that the cause might be Package:
> usbmount, and being told that it wasn't there and I had an attitude
> problem.

My apologies David. It turned out to be hiding in plain sight and that is
where I killed it.

> In the end I think you blamed the "few trillion gallons of
> water [flowing] down the West Fork River" for a recollection problem.

That also is a definite possibility. My shorter term memory is suffering
from oldtimers. Goes with both the 83 years, and I think from being a
pulmonary embolism surviver 3 years back up the log.

> > And it needs to be.
>
> I can't understand why Debian would involve itself in writing
> tutorials for commands like mount, ls, and so on, or glossaries
> of terms like strictatime and device file.
>
> All this is standard linux/unix information, well catered for by
> libraries of books from several well-known publishers, O'Reilly
> being one of the best known. I spent 1997/8 immersing myself in such
> texts, at a time when these books had to be bought. (Public libraries
> only had Idiots' guides to W95, etc.) Now there are a wealth of
> free PDFs at every level of expertise on the web, there for the
> downloading.

> Cheers,
> David.

Thanks David.