Web lists-archives.com

Re: Debian glossary?

On Mon 30 Apr 2018 at 10:44:58 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 30 April 2018 09:24:12 Richard Owlett wrote:

> > Sometimes automount and cousins are convenient. Other times %@%$^$!*()
> > ;/
> >
> Let me clarify that, to a right Pain In The Ass when trying to write an
> armhf or arm64 systen to its boot u-sd card. They grab the card the
> instant its plugged in and then dd has a hell of a time trying to write
> to a mounted device.

Yes, I seem to remember pointing out that the cause might be Package: usbmount,
and being told that it wasn't there and I had an attitude problem.
In the end I think you blamed the "few trillion gallons of water [flowing] down
the West Fork River" for a recollection problem.

> And it needs to be.

I can't understand why Debian would involve itself in writing
tutorials for commands like mount, ls, and so on, or glossaries
of terms like strictatime and device file.

All this is standard linux/unix information, well catered for by
libraries of books from several well-known publishers, O'Reilly
being one of the best known. I spent 1997/8 immersing myself in such
texts, at a time when these books had to be bought. (Public libraries
only had Idiots' guides to W95, etc.) Now there are a wealth of
free PDFs at every level of expertise on the web, there for the
downloading.

Cheers,
David.