Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Progress Report1] Re: Using debootstrap

On 04/29/2018 07:11 AM, Andy Smith wrote:
Hi Richard,

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 06:43:42AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 04/29/2018 12:59 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 04/28/2018 10:57 PM, Kushal Kumaran wrote:
You can try it out to verify after you fix the mount options to not
include nodev.

[…]

The man page for mount hints its possible to remove nodev but there is a
dearth of useful examples.

# mount -o remount,dev /dev/sdc1

"man mount" says:

     If you want to override mount options from /etc/fstab you have to
     use the -o option:

         mount device|dir -o options

That got me further :}
But still nothing got written to target :{

I have a secondary machine on which I've made space for a Debian install and a target partition. >50 years of trouble shooting has taught me to eliminate as many unknowns as possible. The primary reason I was using the flash drive was I could not make enough space on this hard drive.

as regards "remount" option it later says:

        remount
                  Attempt to remount an already-mounted filesystem.
                  This is commonly used to change the mount flags
                  for a  filesystem,  especially to make a readonly
                  filesystem writable.  It does not change device or
                  mount point.

Also have not found a good description of "nodev".

Same man page:

        dev    Interpret character or block special devices on the
               filesystem.

        nodev  Do not interpret character or block special
               devices on the file system.

While a filesystem is mounted "nodev", it can't have device special
files created on it.

I had read, but not understood, those passages.
As I've said on occasion, "If retirement isn't for learning, what use is it?" ;/

Thanks

Cheers,
Andy