Web lists-archives.com

Re: What is the universal (world wide) understanding behind degaussing harddisks?

Degaussing a hard drive will render it inoperative. It's also relatively hard to do/requires special equipment. (Just waving a refrigerator magnet around isn't going to do it.) Degaussing should be understood as a final step before discarding equipment. (And, for what it's worth, it's not a process I generally favor because it's hard to verify that the data on the disk has actually been erased; in most cases I'd recommend physical destruction over degaussing.)

Mike Stone