Web lists-archives.com

Re: Multifunction (printer + scanner) recommendation?

On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 12:07:20 -0000 (UTC)
Dan Purgert <dan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kamil Jońca wrote:
> >
> > I am not sure if it is best group for this question but I am tired with
> > searching over numerous web pages :(

I understand, but do see this thread:

> I'd go for something from Brother.  Ideally, networkable (rather than
> needing to share via CUPS, etc.)

My experience with my Brother HL-2280DW has been very good:

I'm pretty sure that this model has been superseded by newer ones, but
I have the impression that the situation is similar with those newer
models in the same or similar product families:

> > I need to buy device to scan and print which:
> > - can scan with sane
> Last I looked, Brother can do this.  That being said, I'm using one of
> their "MFC" series, and just scan PDFs to a network share (this does
> mean, ofc that I lose out on OCR, but for what I scan, that's minor).

My HL-2280DW works fine with sane.

> > - can print from my debian box (strongly prefer without binary/closed
> > drivers[1], I'm not sure about hplip[2])
> Good luck there.  Brother, HP, everyone that makes quality hardware has
> a binary driver.

I use Brother's binary drivers. The printer can actually be made to
work without them, albeit with missing functionality and some apparent
difference in output quality: