Web lists-archives.com

Re: printer with static ip address inaccessible from lan

On 2/28/2018 1:37 AM, Thomas George wrote:

On 02/27/2018 01:24 PM, john doe wrote:
On 2/27/2018 7:07 PM, Thomas George wrote:
The Samsung CLP-320 printer's static ip was set about 10 years ago to work on a lan using 192.168.1.x addresses. Last week the lan's router failed and was replaced with a Netgear r6700 router using 192.168.2.x addresses. The printer is now inaccessible from the lan.

Cups Administration says the printer address can be set using its MAC address:

      Configuring the IP Address Using DHCP

The DHCP protocol is the usual way of setting the IP address of a printer on a managed network. Using the standard dhcpd(8) program supplied with UNIX you simply need to add a line to the /etc/dhcpd.conf file:

host/hostname/  {
   hardware ethernet/mac-address/;

Make sure that the hostname you use is also listed in the /etc/hosts file or is registered with your DNS server.

apt-cache search dhcpd finds udhcpd. My pc's system is Debian Stretch. There is a file /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf but no file /etc/dhcpd.

Is it possible to access the printer and change  its address to one in 192.168.2.x or to reset it to use dhcp?

The daemon 'dhcpd' is package 'isc-dhcp-server'.

Can't you change the IP of your ISP router to use the subnet 192.168.1.*?
This is certainly the simplest solution but the Netgear Genie does not have this option even as an advanced setting option. I will contact Netgear by phone to discuss this possibility.

From a web browser if you try to access or do you get a web interface?

If resetting the printer is an option I would do that.
Then you simply change the IP address given by the dhcp server in cups.

John Doe