Web lists-archives.com

Re: Setting up a local DNS server but clients that use it can't access the internet

There's no need to Cc me, I'm subscribed to the list.

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 10:58:49AM +0000, Aero Maxx wrote:
> Ok well I wasn't aware pastebin wasn't allowed, I was wary of pasting a
> huge wall of text from all the commands and the output of the files I was
> asked for right into an email.

That's why they invented archives and e-mail attachments.

> The output sadly told me nothing as I didn't understand it.
> My named.conf.options file does have a "forwarders" section in it.
> options {
>         forwarders {
>       ;
>       ;

Ok, that actually gives us something.

First things first, Virgin Media uses different nameservers, according
to the RIPE, at least. They are ns[1-4].virginmedia.net.

Second, these cache[12].service.viginmedia.net you're trying to use as
forwarders may or may not be operational.
A couple of quick tests should clarify it (run it from the malfunctioning

dig in a debian.org @
dig in a debian.org @

> Is there a reason as to why the root DNSes aren't accessible to my BIND?

You forgot to put your DNS server at DMZ.
They block udp:53 and tcp:53 at Virgin Media.
Someone at *your* premises does the same.

There are many things that can go wrong.