Web lists-archives.com

Re: Re: [partial resolution] Re: Problem withj dd

Hi Jacques,

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 02:46:47AM +0100, Rodary Jacques wrote:
> 1/ No the same removable device doesn't always receive the same /dev/sdX.If you unmount  it ( umount /dev/sdX) and plug it again, it can be called /dev/sdY (I suppose the kernel keeps tne name in memory for some time).

You might find it more convenient to use the device aliases in the
/dev/disk/by-* directories as these can be based on some persistent
property of your removable device such as its label, serial number,
or which port it is plugged into etc.

Cheers,
Andy