Web lists-archives.com

Re: libgparted bug.




On Friday 09 February 2018 03:52:05 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 09 February 2018 03:05:23 deloptes wrote:
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Trying to make a backup image of a 64GB bootable sdcard. Th os say
> > > its 59.b GB when it mounts the original, but pull copy to a file
> > > and its nearly a megabyte bigger than 64gigs.  So obviously the
> > > file is bigger than a brand new unformatted disk.
> >
> > Hi Gene, you should know each partition has header or meta data,
> > that is not visible after mount. I can't recall where, but there was
> > a document (perhaps on Debian) that explained how the meta data
> > looks like. So basically with each partition operation you add a
> > layer on top of the physical device. For example you create a luks
> > partition, it adds some meta data (perhaps 1-2MB), you add a LVM on
> > top it also adds some meta data, you add the partition, it also adds
> > some meta data.
> >
> > The other concern could be that the 64GB are actually GB by 1000
> > (sales GB) and not GiB.
> > For example my HDD and SSD report this
> >
> > sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
> > Disk /dev/sda: 465.8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
> >
> > sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb
> > Disk /dev/sdb: 465.8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
> >
> > I bought 500GB which seems to be equivalent of 465.8 GiB
>
> I've been playing in the night with gparted, which loads up the
> operating card out of the rockchip, which shows that a bit over 4GiB
> is used out of 59.6GiB for partition 7, the last partition in it, so I
> unmount it, select move/resize, and pull the right end of the gui's
> part 7 bar down to about 10GiB. which then shows 49GiB and change of
> unallocated space.
>
> All of these sd images are shrunken in a similar manner, and once
> installed on whatever size of sd card you have, and that will hold the
> decompressed image, 8 gb is more than enough, and the last partition
> will be autoexpanded on the next boot to allocate the rest of the
> card.
>
> So raspian, ayyufan, and all these guys obviously have a way to do
> this shrinkage down to only whats used.
>
> But running gparted as root, it refuses to resize the SOB so I can
> turn around and reinstall a working system on an 8, 16, 32, 64 or even
> a 128GiB card.
>
> But gparted, running as root, refuses to do it, and its log info makes
> zero sense.
>
> Because I want exactly the same file as you can down load. And this
> includes the stuff I've built and installed to get it to a fully
> working for my purposes install.
>
> But, and heres the but, I have got to be able to make copies of a
> working install, but with a realtime kernel I've built. That way, I
> always have a backup system on the last card that I don't have to
> start over from scratch to rebuild.
>
> Heres that log from telling it to resize part7.
>
> Sorry about the html, but thats how gparted saves it.
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
> Transitional//EN'
> 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd'> <html
> xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml' xml:lang='en-US' lang='en-US'>
> <head>
> <meta http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html;charset=utf-8' />
> <title>GParted Details</title>
> </head>
> <body>
> <p>GParted 0.12.1 --enable-libparted-dmraid</p>
> <p>Libparted 2.3</p>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> <b>Shrink /dev/sdd7 from 59.56 GiB to 6.91
> GiB</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;00:00:01&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;( ERROR )
> </td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
> <td>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> calibrate /dev/sdd7&nbsp;&nbsp;00:00:00&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(
> SUCCESS )
> </td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
> <td>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> <i>path: /dev/sdd7<br />start: 262,144<br />end: 125,171,678<br
> />size: 124,909,535 (59.56 GiB)</i>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> check file system on /dev/sdd7 for errors and (if possible) fix
> them&nbsp;&nbsp;00:00:00&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;( ERROR )
> </td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
> <td>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> <b><i>e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdd7</i></b>
> </td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
> <td>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> <i>/dev/sdd7 is mounted.<br /></i>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> <i>e2fsck 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)<br />e2fsck: Cannot continue,
> aborting.<br /><br /><br /></i>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> <p>========================================</p>
> </body>
> </html>
>
> Now part7 is NOT mounted which would explain the e2fsck failure.
> Now, it does NOT tell me that e2fsck failed in the messages I see on
> screen.
>
> > Why don't you tar.gz or tar.bz2 your data instead of pulling
> > multiple 0-bytes into backup?
>
> That should be adequately explained above.
>
> > regards
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
> Transitional//EN'
> 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd'> <html
> xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml' xml:lang='en-US' lang='en-US'>
> <head>
> <meta http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html;charset=utf-8' />
> <title>GParted Details</title>
> </head>
> <body>
> <p>GParted 0.12.1 --enable-libparted-dmraid</p>
> <p>Libparted 2.3</p>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> <b>Shrink /dev/sdd7 from 59.56 GiB to 8.34
> GiB</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;00:00:01&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;( ERROR )
> </td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
> <td>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> calibrate /dev/sdd7&nbsp;&nbsp;00:00:00&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(
> SUCCESS )
> </td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
> <td>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> <i>path: /dev/sdd7<br />start: 262,144<br />end: 125,171,678<br
> />size: 124,909,535 (59.56 GiB)</i>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> check file system on /dev/sdd7 for errors and (if possible) fix
> them&nbsp;&nbsp;00:00:01&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;( ERROR )
> </td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
> <td>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> <b><i>e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdd7</i></b>
> </td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
> <td>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> <i>/dev/sdd7 is mounted.<br /></i>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> <table border='0'>
> <tr>
> <td colspan='2'>
> <i>e2fsck 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)<br />e2fsck: Cannot continue,
> aborting.<br /><br /><br /></i>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> </td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> <p>========================================</p>
> </body>
> </html>
>
>
> So I go back and repeat it, see above and it says the partition is not
> mounted on the gparted screen, but the error message says it is. So
> something is automounting it, what do I kill to stop that?
>
>
> Thanks for any hints.

Got the sonofabitch, I added sdd to the ignore line 
in /lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules.

And gparted is munching away at the resize now. Done, now I can make 
copies.


-- 
Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>