Web lists-archives.com

Re: 404 trying to use stretch/backports

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018, deloptes wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
> > I can see what you are saying about mixing stable and unstable but don't
> > completely follow it in this case. Only mc and mc-data from unstable are
> > needed and the libraries on stable are sufficient to produce a working
> > mc. Are you suggesting these libraries could be subject to future change?
>
> Brian, not future - present changes. You compile the code against higher
> version of the library and use it with lower version. If the library was
> changed (lower -> higher), the program can break when this part of the code
> is executed. This might be true for mc or not, we don't know, but the risk
> is there. If OP is lucky there won't be an issue, but there is no
> guarantee.

I wouldn't install mc from unstable or testing on stretch, BUT I do love
the program.  I don't consider it broken at all, and over the years it has
been well-maintained and I appreciate it.  I use it all day every day, so
maybe the best way to get it backported is to setup a testing system and
test it and file some bugs.

The maintainer already has that on his radar, so maybe it's possible.