Web lists-archives.com

Re: Strange message during boot

On 2018-01-11 at 10:35, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 10:27:33AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>> On 2018-01-11 at 10:23, Brian wrote:

>>> Guaranteed: 'cat /proc/1/comm'.
>> On my system:
>> $ dlocate /sbin/init
>> sysvinit-core: /sbin/init
>> $ cat /proc/1/comm
>> init
>> So the former command produces recognizably useful information, whereas
>> the latter does not.
>> I can't be sure what the latter command would output on a different
>> system, not having tested it - but since AFAIK the standard practice is
>> to launch the init system via /sbin/init (symlinked to something else if
>> necessary) regardless, I would expect the command to be 'init' in all
>> cases.
> wooledg:~$ ls -l /sbin/init
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jul  5  2017 /sbin/init -> /lib/systemd/systemd
> wooledg:~$ cat /proc/1/comm
> systemd

So it's smart enough to bypass the name of the symlink when populating
this node? I'm a little bit surprised, especially given the number of
programs which intentionally behave differently depending on which name
they were invoked with, but that could be useful in some circumstances.

> P.S. "ls -l /sbin/init" is the command we usually give to people in
> #debian when they ask similar questions.

Right. I meant to bring that up at some point in the thread, but it
slipped my mind during editing passes on what I'd already written.

   The Wanderer