Web lists-archives.com

Re: KVM PCI Passthrough NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti error code 43

On 14.11.2017 02:37, Ramon Hofer wrote:
Dear Alexander,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Interesting. I thought I was just not able to setup KVM / QEMU
properly. Because I read and heard that NVidia deliberately switches
the card off when the driver detects that it is virtualised.

I am using the newest BIOS version (updated on Sunday) on the
motherboard:
Supermicro C7Z170-M
BIOS Version: 2.0a
BIOS Tag: 1088B
Date: 07/17/2017
Time: 15:51:37

Unfortunately I do not know anything about a bioy\uefi firmware bug. Is
this a known issue of my mainboard version?

In the BIOS for the "Boot mode select" setting, I have chosen
"Legacy" (there would also be "UEFI" or "DUAL"). Do you think it might
be worth trying to change it to the other two?
I can't tell for sure if it will help. Basically, you have to enable VT-d, IOMMU in BIOS and stick with it.
Updated BIOS is great because this at least removes one thing from the equation.
You can check if all features of QEMU are enabled on your host by typing:
    $ virt-host-validate

I have uploaded dmesg output if it helps:
dmesg: https://pastebin.com/79Us7WMf

In the Windows 7 guest, the reported IDs are:
VEN_ID: 10DE
DEV_ID: 1B06

The driver version in the Windows 7 guest is:
23.21.13.8813 (Date: 27.10.2017)

I'd try different versions of nVidia drivers, not only most recent one and perform clean install of the drivers.
I have thought about buying a Windows 10 copy, but it is not possible
to get the direct download version in Switzerland, so I postponed the
purchase due to lack of patience.

I am not sure if I can still get a copy of Windows 8 somewhere, but if
you think it helps, I can go an buy Windows 10.
Please let me know how I can help you helping me :-)
You can download and try Windows 10 for free and play with it for a 90-days trial period. Get the regular one, not LTSB.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise
Might be your best bet to try KVM with Windows 10 guest without spending any money.
The problem got me thinking yesterday and today I asked around if
anybody wants the card and if I should buy an AMD GPU. But since my
card came with a pre-installed water block no potential buyer could be
found...

Thank you again and best regards,
Ramon

--