New stretch kernel: lilo boot fails with "EBDA is big" message
- Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 15:31:37 -0700
- From: Bill Brelsford <wbrels@xxxxxxxx>
- Subject: New stretch kernel: lilo boot fails with "EBDA is big" message
After the stretch 9.2 kernel upgrade to 4.9.0-4, lilo gives, at
boot, "EBDA is big; kernel setup stack overlaps LILO second stage"
- After upgrading, I installed irqbalance before re-booting.
- Lilo then gave "Loading linux" followed by a line and a half of
"....." and hung, both for the new and old (4.9.0-3) kernels.
- Using the stretch install disk for rescue, I purged irqbalance and
- Now I get the "EBDA" message for the new kernel, but the old one
- I've re-installed the kernel package and re-generated initramfs
(and re-run lilo), but it still fails.
The most common cause of the EBDA message seems to be neglecting to
run lilo, but I've done that. Output from lilo -v appears to be
I upgraded 4 other machines with no problem. All are i686 with
similar configuration, except that the failing one installs the
boot loader in a partition rather than in the MBR.