dd to clone a drive
- Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:57:57 -0400
- From: Jack Dangler <tdldev@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: dd to clone a drive
I have an existing drive near EOL (judging from the sounds). I got a replacement drive for it (same size).
I plugged the replacement into a USB port and started a byte-for-byte copy with
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdcThe process ran quietly for almost 30 hours with no discernable results so i killed it. Apparently, it had been running the whole time and resulted in approximately 300 of 500Gb copied. Is it 'usual' to have dd take upwards of 2 days to copy a drive ?
The source drive is a 500G 5400rpm WD, and the target is a 500G 7200rpm WD black.
Thanks for any input. Regards Jack
- Prev by Date: Re: How to Turn Off Autodiscovered Printers in Firefox?
- Next by Date: Re: Can't find the DNS Servers
- Previous by thread: Bluetooth mouse disconnect while laptop runs with cell
- Next by thread: Re: dd to clone a drive