Web lists-archives.com

Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

Le 25/09/2017 à 15:24, Greg Wooledge a écrit :

I think it's better for all the unix-like systems to work the same way
(the way that they have all done for the last 30+ years), rather than
each one doing something different.

Sadly, there was never any uniformity in how interfaces, IPs, netmasks
and routes are configured.

These two statements contradict each other.
If there was never any uniformity, then Unix-like systems have not worked the same way for the 30+ years.

But /etc/resolv.conf is a universal standard.  You can log into ANY
unix-like system and see what nameservers it's using

Yes. But I do not think that the Unix standard defines the way the file should be created and modified.

and correct them if they're wrong

Prepare to be disappointed if you modify directly resolv.conf, because the software which wrote it first could rewrite it after you, as DHCP clients do each time they renew the lease.

(though you may need to remove the chattr +i bit before
you can write to the file).

Ugly hack.

Some software modify the DNS server list. IMO, better bear with it and learn how to control them.