Web lists-archives.com

Re: Upgrade problems (wheezy->jessie)

Hi

jpff wrote:

> 1) Why will vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64 not load (says loading and the does
> nothing for over 30mins) when vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 does load?

don't know - I had same issue

In my case I found out that initrd was broken. I still have to unpack the
initrd copy /sbin/switch_root and package initrd again, so that I can boot.
Why this - I don't know ...

> 2) Is it OK to run with the older kernel?

yes, I ran jessie almost 2y with 3.2.0.4-amd64 - nothing wrong happened, no
problems

> 3) More importantly will it happen on Jessie->Stretch as climbing up
> to dismantle the local net is hard (I have a balance issue) or is
> there a way of testing before rebooting?

Perhaps you make a copy to virtual machine or another computer and try it
there first

changes are usually not applied directly to productive systems, you do it on
a test system first and take notes - best write step by step guide

further more read carefully the upgrade instructions provided by debian. If
you stick to them, you usually won't have problems.

regards