Web lists-archives.com

Re: Big problem computer not booting

From: field.engineer@xxxxxxxxx
To: debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 08/10/2017 12:00 PM, kelsang sherab wrote:
> I run Debian stretch on MacBook Air
>
> I did a restore backup from previous system[debian Jessie ]
>
> Now machine is not booting
>
> upon boot the machine gives the normal GRUB menu:
> Debian GNU/Linux
> Advanced options for Debian GNU/linux
>
> Click the 1st one
>
> saying
>
> then a list of checks
>
> [ 0.049346] DMAR-IR:[Firmware Bug] : ioapic 2 has no mappin iommu,
> interrupt remapping will be disabled
> /dev/sda2: clean, 348430/7118848 files, 7186186/28466432 blocks
> [ 3.895353] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page found
> [ 3.895361] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write trhough
> [FAILED] Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online.
> See "systemctl status NetwrokManager-wait-online.service" for details.
> then a list of things starting all [OK]
>
> and then nothing happens
>
> Switching the machine off and re-starting it into the advance option i
> get some root access and i see al my files.I am not able to connect to the internet
> When trying to do something like apt-get update
> the system returns that a shared library libapt-pkg.so.4.12 is not
> installed.
> but I have no internet access so I cannot either find the lib or install
> it. And so I cannot update the system and it feels like a catch 22
> I could really do with some help

I don"t know, but maybe I can help with the network, do an "#ifconfig
-a" to get the name of your interface and then "#ifconfig
(name-of-interface) up" and see if that helps get things going.

I suspect this has to do with the settings of systemd trying to bring a
functional network up before it completes the sequence, but as it is
set to give up at a point it finds yet a different place to get stuck.
I remember a while I had found where to set the time limit but didn't
record the find and while on wifi I have to deal with this delayed booting
myself.
But, on the above problem out of curiosity I found this piece that may
be helpful.  https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2254677
It seems on such machines the interrupts get all twisted and tangled
up.  Quote from the link:
"The ivrs table is wrong, it points to non existant IOAPIC[0] and IOAPIC[255], so to override this i use this commandline in grub:
ivrs_ioapic[7]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[8]=00:00.1."