Web lists-archives.com

Re: Laser Printer recommendation...

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 20:00:29 +0100
Brian <ad44@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue 08 Aug 2017 at 13:01:30 -0500, Doug wrote:
> > It always amazes me that people who get a driver made specifically
> > for a device, a driver that has significantly more capability than
> > one that came with their Linux os,
> > would refuse to use it. It hasn't cost them anything, just as the
> > Linux os hasn't cost them anything, so it is FREE. (Don't tell me
> > they paid for it with the printer--they
> > couldn't have bought the printer without subsidizing the driver, so
> > essentially it is free.)  Same goes for video drivers. It's like
> > trying to swim with one hand tied behind your back.
> It's strange, isn't it, that some people do not want to knuckle under
> and do what they are told is best for them. The same people want some
> control over the goods they own and the services they use. Wierdos.
> Ignore them and join the hive.

Well, on top of being able to use a pretested and know good
non-proprietary driver there are other reasons....

Not to mention that some people think that proprietary drivers utilize
more ink than their FLOSS counterparts, and if Amazon reviews is any
indication, then manufacturers *do* want you to use more ink and newer
printers *do* use more ink. The question is, do manufacturers use
drivers, firmware, or both to achieve this end?