Web lists-archives.com

Re: modifying debian installer image

On Wed 09 Aug 2017 at 08:49:46 +0200, Fourhundred Thecat wrote:

> I have downloaded debian netinstaller:
> wget
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/amd64/initrd.gz
> I have unpacked the image, and I was looking around to try to understand
> how it works. I assumed, there was some config file with a list of all
> the packages that are going to be installed.
> I would like to modify that list, and replace systemd with sysvinit-core.
> I don't see any such package list in the installer, and I could not find
> much information on how the installer works.
> Could somebody please help me understand, where the installer gets the
> list of packages it installs ? And how I can change that list?
> PS: I know I can remove systemd and install sysvinit-core *after* the
> installation. But I am trying to avoid installing systemd and then
> removing it. I would like to install sysvinit-core right away.
> I am also using preseeding for installation, but as far as I know, this
> cannot be achieved with preseeding alone.

Doesn't the wiki have advice about remastering the installer?

Not quite an answer to your question, but you could explore the
suggestion in

  If you want something more complicated, like not installing systemd at
  all, you'll have to pass --include and --exclude options to debootstrap
  using the base-installer/includes and base-installer/excludes preseed
  options; something like:

  base-installer/includes=sysvinit-core base-installer/excludes=systemd-sysv

  but that's totally untested.

I think this can be preseeded.