Web lists-archives.com

Re: Live recording

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017, at 09:56, Weaver wrote:

> How almost all professional grand piano recordings are made, whether in
> a concert hall or studio, is with two mics on boom stands, projected
> over the strings. Bass on the left, treble on the right: the way a
> pianist hears it.

As a non-pianist I'd never really thought about the way that a pianist
what they play in such a different way from an audience.

On the other hand, the standard BBC micing of chamber music concerts (eg
for transmission of concerts during the Edinburgh Festival) is (or was
time I was at one) basically a stereo pair slung over the first few rows
of the
downstairs audience.  Sometimes I think they may have used a M&S mic.

It could be that use of a slung pair is partly so that a standard way of
the hall works for all the concerts given there over several weeks.

Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.