Web lists-archives.com

How do I play a video disc with Debian? was: Re: problems after installing Debian

On Monday 20 March 2017 00:18:37 Harry wrote:
> Hi,     I have installed Debian 8.5.0 cinnamon i386 .I like the program
> after having a lot of crashes with linux mint !My problem now is i can't
> get anything to play a video disc , Totem does'nt work , video player gives
> the message could not support initializing library. Forums  suggest
> uninstalling gstreamer but then i find theres  several in the the system ,
> so which one or all ??Nothing seems to  help . I thought of updating
> Debian but i can't find out how to do that either ! Linux mint had a simple
> update manager .Hope you can help .
> Thank you , Harry

Welcome to Debian.

Just changing subject line to attract people who know about video.

What have you got in your sources.list?  /etc/apt/sources.list  That is
usually a good place to start, because you may need some additional and
non-free software, which may not be available in Debian main.

There are lots of ways to update.  I use (and recommend)
# aptitude update
# aptitude full-upgrade
at the command line,
but by saying so I have probably started a flame war.  As I said, there are
lots of ways.

Whichever way you do it, you should certainly upgrade now!!  Confusingly,
Debian uses the term upgrade for what you are meaning by update.

Lisi