Re: Suitable text editor [NOT word processor] or workaround?
- Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 08:23:35 -0500
- From: Richard Owlett <rowlett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Suitable text editor [NOT word processor] or workaround?
On 03/16/2017 07:09 AM, Celejar wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 06:38:52 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My environment is Jessie (8.6.0) with MATE desktop.
I require two things:
1. a search and replace which can include a "newline" in new string.
2. display/edit 2 files simultaneously *side by side*
MATE's standard editor (Pluma) can handle the first easily.
I see no way to open 2 instances of Pluma in separate windows - a la
Notepad in WindowsXP. Pluma will only open multiple files in multiple tabs.
The two files are nearly identical and need them displayed
simultaneously for instant visual comparison. Opening one of the files
read only would be acceptable but not preferable.
I just checked, and Geany can do both. [Probably lots of others can,
too, but this is what I have installed and have been using lately.]
Turns out there is a FAQ for that
Out of the box it will allow multiple instances to be launched - that
will be adequate for me.
The FAQ indicates a plug-in is available to allow displaying multiple
files side by side. Will investigate later. Have installed Geany and it
will get me out of my current problem.