Web lists-archives.com

Broken Dell UEFI Firmware?

I have a new Dell Precision 3620.

I have just installed Jessie on the drive, in UEFI mode, creating a separate EFI partition, FAT-formatted, in a GPT partition table.

After install, the "grubx64.efi" file is in in the "\[GUID]\EFI\debian" directory.

But when I boot the machine, it fails to boot, not being able to find a bootable device.

When I go into the UEFI, I can manually specify a boot option to point to this directory, but when I reboot, it still fails. When I go back into the UEFI, and look at the boot option I specified, I see that the UEFI silently changed my specific "\[GUID\EFI\debian\grubx64.efi" entry to "\]GUID\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi".

There seems to be no way to over-ride this silent bait-and-switch.

I can boot from a rescue drive and create the "\BOOT" directory and copy the "grubx64.efi" file into it with the "BOOTX64.efi" name, and Debian boots fine, but I shouldn't have to do that, methinks.

I downloaded/installed the most recent "BIOS" from the Dell site, to none effect.

So, my question:

Is Dell's UEFI implementation broken, or am I simply overlooking something? I'm going to go see if I can make the setting stick if I use Debian's efibootmgr utility.

Thanks!

--
Kent West                    <")))><