Web lists-archives.com

Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 12:30:11PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> The Linux mantra has always been "choice," plethoras of choices. So why
> at install time, is there no choice for the init system?  You get what
> the developers decide. Yes, you can install a new one -- I've done it
> and it works -- but only after the install.  It'd be a lot easier, if
> there were a choice to begin with just like whether you want a GUI and
> which one.

Because the number of people who want to run a new version of Debian with
an ancient and deprecated init system is probably in the triple digits,
worldwide.

You are a member of a small minority.  It's not reasonable to expect
that a whole bunch of time will be spent making install images with
alternative init systems for such a small demand.  You have a solution
which works just fine.