Web lists-archives.com

Re: upgraded config files in /lib/systemd/system

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 10:25:52AM -0500, Marc Auslander wrote:
> IIRC in the "old" world, if you had a modified version of a config
> file and an update modified the original released version, you got
> a warning and a dialog which let you decide how to proceed.

This is still the case on Debian systems: it's the "conffile" feature
of Debian packages.

Unfortunately systemd was designed in part around limitations of other
systems' package managers, such as RPM, which lack this feature. So
they invented the /etc/systemd/system-overrides-/lib/systemd/system
override scheme instead.

The techniques that others in this thread have mentioned for partially
overriding or supplanting an existing system file go some way to
redress this.

Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.