Web lists-archives.com

Re: Attempt to run debootstrap

On Thu 23 Feb 2017 at 08:21:43 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 23 February 2017 06:10:44 tomas@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > >
> > > aptitude is great on the command line.  And does some things (but
> > > not all) more conveniently than apt-get. Besides, it is NOT a GUI
> > > application.  It can be run as a TUI. </plug>
> >
> > Most definitely. I use both: for search and show, I love aptitude
> > (perhaps some familiarity factor). For install/remove I use apt-get:
> > its more simple-minded resolution algorithm is essential to cope
> > with the Frankendebian horror shows I tend to throw at it (aptitude
> > tends to ponder for a while and proposes to rip out 3/4 of that
> > mess :-)
> Unfortunately, for me aptitude has elected to rip out something like 272
> packages too many times, some of which were the heart of the os. I let
> it do it once on a machine I could afford to lose.  I had to reinstall.
> Its caused me to do 3 re-installs, so I might look at what it says, but
> then I reboot the machine from another terminal because one of those
> re-installs was caused by a simple q for quit, but it just had to "fix"
> things before it would quit. By the time I could get to the hdwe reset
> button it was too late and after the re-install another day or so
> getting all my data restored via my amanda backups. The point is that
> aptitude did NOT show me what it was about to do until it was doing it.
> So I am very cautious about telling aptitude to do _anything_ that would
> cause a disk write other that a refresh from the servers.

Yes, Gene, we are well aware that aptitude, like network-manager,
"usually doesn't work", and that the partitioner cannot be bypassed in
the debian-installer, and that xterm is unusable, and that mutt should
be replaced by a more modern intelligent MUA.

Less than a year ago, you maintained that aptitude could only be run
in curses and only as root, but were running it for 18 years in a
misconfigured terminal that left stale text on the screen so that you
had difficulty discerning its actions and intentions.

While trying to remove/upgrade an entire architecture (amd64) that you
regretted having installed, you posted that aptitude was displaying a
long list of packages marked "id" (installed packages for removal).
You said that you didn't understand that list because you hadn't got
a reference manual.

Advised to take a closer look, and to reset some in the list to "ii"
and prevent their removal, you said that your methodology was to just
let it rip and see what happens.

A few days later, you were adamant that typing "q" at some point had
made aptitude remove half your system, and you seemed surprised that
there was some disbelief here.