Using source packages to bring some programs up to latest version
- Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 16:07:48 -0500
- From: David Niklas <doark@xxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Using source packages to bring some programs up to latest version
I've used Debian on and off but now I have a pocketchip from
and it uses debian and I'm not about to switch.
I follow several projects closely (nano, lynx, a few others), and what I
want to do is to tell apt to:
1. Download the latest and greatest source code of version of package X
2. Resolve all dependencies of package X downloading source code
3. Resolve packages that depend on X and download source code
4. Compile sources and install X and dependencies.
I realize that several of theses steps may make up one actual command and
What I'm trying to do is to avoid running pieces unstable or testing
software (except for the package I asked for (such as nano)), while
still having a few newer packages.