Bug#928604: ITP: soscleaner -- Python application to clean sensitive and un-wanted data from an existing sosreport
- Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 12:22:20 +0000
- From: Eric Desrochers <eric.desrocher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Bug#928604: ITP: soscleaner -- Python application to clean sensitive and un-wanted data from an existing sosreport
Owner: Eric Desrochers <eric.desrochers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
* Package name : soscleaner
Version : v0.4.3
Upstream Author : jduncan <jduncan@xxxxxxxxxx>
* URL : https://github.com/jduncan-rva/soscleaner
* License : GPL-2+
Programming Lang: Python
Description : Python application to clean sensitive and un-wanted data from an existing sosreport
Soscleaner is an open-source tool to take an sosreport, or any arbitrary dataset, and sanely obfuscate
potentially sensitive information so it can be shared with outside parties for support. An unaltered
copy of the data is maintained by the user so data can be mapped and suggestions supplied by a support
team can still be actionable, even without the sensitive information.
* Why is this pacakge useful/relevant ?
This tool allow users to sanitise a sosreport before sharing it with outside parties for support by
obfuscating every occurences of a hostname, ip, mac address and user. This is relevant for users who
doesn't want to share such sensible information and are concern about confidentiality.
* Is it a dependency for another package ?
The goal is to have soscleaner sanitizing existing sosreport collection, so soscleaner will depend on
sosreport which is already found in the archive.
* Do you use it ?
Yes, I've been testing it and used it, and I know that others will be interested to use it also.
* If there are other packages providing similar function
No, this package is very specific to sosreport, maybe other tool can do something similar but most
likely not as good as soscleaner does. Its main focus is sanitizing sosreport. It's also made by the same
* How do you plan to maintain it ?
I'm planning to maintain and/or co-maintain it. I'm already an uploader for sosreport, and planning to
maintain sosreport as well to make the release of both package smooth.
* Do you need a sponsor ?
Yes, until I get my DM permissions.