Bug#919986: ITP: r-cran-askpass -- safe password entry for GNU R, Git, and SSH
- Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 11:24:21 +0100
- From: Andreas Tille <tille@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Bug#919986: ITP: r-cran-askpass -- safe password entry for GNU R, Git, and SSH
Owner: Andreas Tille <tille@xxxxxxxxxx>
* Package name : r-cran-askpass
Version : 1.1
Upstream Author : Jeroen Ooms
* URL : https://cran.r-project.org/package=askpass
* License : MIT
Programming Lang: GNU R
Description : safe password entry for GNU R, Git, and SSH
Cross-platform utilities for prompting the user for credentials or a
passphrase, for example to authenticate with a server or read a protected key.
Includes native programs for MacOS and Windows, hence no 'tcltk' is required.
Password entry can be invoked in two different ways: directly from R via the
askpass() function, or indirectly as password-entry back-end for 'ssh-agent'
or 'git-credential' via the SSH_ASKPASS and GIT_ASKPASS environment variables.
Thereby the user can be prompted for credentials or a passphrase if needed
when R calls out to git or ssh.
Remark: This package is maintained by Debian R Packages Maintainers at
This package is needed to upgrade r-cran-openssl to its latest upstream version.