Web lists-archives.com

Re: usrmerge -- plan B?




Jeremy Bicha <jbicha@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 3:39 PM Russ Allbery <rra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> But it's not just my opinion that matters.  I think we need to decide
>> this somehow as a project, whether via the TC or via GR or something,
>> because there's a real disagreement here over whether we can or should
>> force-upgrade all Debian systems and I don't believe doing something
>> short of that is going to be supportable.

> If we are going to have a vote, we don't have a lot of time. I think
> that if Debian were to choose to convert all systems to usrmerge for
> the Buster release, it ought to be complete in Buster before the
> Transition Freeze which is scheduled for January 12. [1]

> [1] https://release.debian.org/

We could also skip buster, hold usrmerge out of the buster release as a
not-yet-supported configuration (or ship it with a bunch of disclaimers; I
have no strong opinion either way), and then aim for the next release, and
in the meantime double down on trying to get as much testing of usrmerge
systems as possible.

That's going to be a disappointing delay for a lot of people, I'm sure,
but it's still better for them than never doing this at all.

-- 
Russ Allbery (rra@xxxxxxxxxx)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>